Saturday, June 7, 2008

本山葵 - Wasabi Ice Cream Anyone?



Apparently the Shizuoka Prefecture in Japan (the same area as the waterfall tour), is responsible for producing 80% of Japan's Wasabi (本山葵). As we found out, they make more than wasabi sauce out of the wasabi plant. Lori was not brave enough, but Kevin actually tried the wasabi flavored ice cream offered in this area of Japan. Surprisingly, the ice cream was sweet, and only had a slight spicy aftertaste. Lori took a small taste of Kevin's cone (hers was vanilla), but it made her face as green as the ice cream. We knew that the Japanese people had very different taste in food products, most of which we will never eat, but the wasabi ice cream was a once in a lifetime opportunity.



Wasabi Plant




2 comments:

Ashley said...

I like it on Sushi does that count?! Speaking of, you should try some sushi while you are there...I bet it's AMAZIN!

Kern County Kids Read said...

Hmm- I think I'm with Lori on skipping most of the wasabi.